There’s no doubt that for most families, bottles will become one of the most used items in the house once the baby arrives. Glass bottles were a staple historically, and many parents are opting to maintain the tradition of glass-only bottles in their households. Below find pros and cons of the top glass baby bottles currently on the market.
Table of Contents
Why are some parents opting for glass baby bottles?
Prior to 2013, BPA was present in baby bottles (among other food and drink containers). This chemical is known to cause birth defects, impact growth and development in children, and cause reproductive harm.
In 2013, the FDA banned the use of BPA in products. So, plastic dishware (including bottles) made after that date are rated BPA-free and dishwasher safe are not known to emit harmful chemicals.
In 2018, the American Association of Pediatrics released a policy statement recommending that parents avoid putting plastic in the microwave. However, this applied to food and drink packaging plastics (which emit those dangerous chemicals when heated).
So, at this point, glass bottles are not necessarily safer than plastic bottles. Many, however, can easily be converted into snack or baby food storage long term, so you can get more use out of them once your child is no longer using bottles. If you think of it this way, this could help justify the cost of them. Others simply prefer the look and feel of them over plastic bottles.
Pros & cons of glass baby bottles
Features to look for when choosing a glass baby bottle
Below, find a comprehensive list of pros and cons for the main glass baby bottles on the market. When I was evaluating each glass bottle type available, I kept the following criteria in mind:
- Leak-proof. Nothing is worth a bottle leaking all over your diaper bag all the time. Save your sanity.
- Ease of cleaning. The less parts your bottle has, the less pieces you have to keep clean! However, some pieces you may need— Dr. Brown’s bottles, for an example, have a lot of pieces but are known for being great for anti-colic.
- Size: For newborns, you can use 4 oz bottles. As your baby grows, it’s convenient to have a bottle that is larger.
- Compatible with your desired accessories. You can use things such as bottle sleeves and bottle warmers to make your life easier. It’s a good idea to check out the bottles you choose are compatible with those, too. Note: please read all manufacturers guides before using these products in conjunction with your glass baby bottles. I listed useful available accessories of each bottle below. I haven’t reviewed each of these accessories (just the bottles), but am listing them for reference.
- Compatible with your pump (if applicable).
- Made by a big company. I found this one out the hard way– if you end up using a bottle that isn’t that popular, it’s not that easy to find. This can put you in a tricky spot when you’re, say, traveling and need to run to the store for a replacement part.
Everything you need to know about the top glass baby bottles on the market...
The truth is, there aren’t that many glass baby bottles on the market. So, below find a comprehensive list of the features of each major player. I’ve sifted through dozens of reviews, so you don’t have to.
(Please note that these aren’t in any particular order).
What’s it’s wonderful: Anti-colic nipple design without any extra pieces to clean!
What’s it’s wonderful: Dr. Brown’s is known for having the premiere anti-colic bottles!
What’s it’s wonderful: Reviewers boast that these bottles are easy to use and leak-proof!
When using bottles, there are some great products on the market to use to make cleaning and storing easier. These can be used regardless of which bottles you choose to use. Here are some of my favorite:
What’s it’s wonderful: These versatile bottles can be used long-term– they come with accessories to be used as a regular bottle, baby food container, and standard cup.
What’s it’s wonderful: One of the least expensive glass bottles on the market, and available in three colors (clear, teal, and lavender)!
What’s it’s wonderful: The bottles can be used long-term in your home (since they’re just regular mason jars with bottle attachments), and they come with a lot of unique attachments.
I wish you the best of luck as you find the perfect glass baby bottle for your family!
If you’re welcoming a new baby into your family, be fore to check out my Newborn Necessities guides to find out what other products will help simplify your new life.
Check these out next
There are only a few years where our kiddos will permit us to rope them into (adorable) family costumes, so we have to take advantage of that while we can. There are an infinite number of costumes on the market for kids, but many of them need to be hand washed.
Raise your hand if you’ve got time to hand wash costumes.
There are some wonderful doctor toys for kids on the market now that can help you bring a doctor’s office right into your home. These toys can help children gain some control by allowing them to take a step into the driver’s seat, so to speak. Plus, they can practice empathy and creativity as well.